The Memorial premises on Nicolaiplatz has an eventful history. In 1790, the city of Brandenburg built a poorhouse on an open space in front of the city gates for impoverished citizens as well as invalid soldiers and their families.
Beginning in 1810, the Brandenburg poorhouse also housed prisoners from the overcrowded prison in Spandau. The decision to use the site as a permanent prison was made in 1820. It was for this purpose that the existing buildings were renovated and the entire premises was enclosed with a wall. This increased the site’s capacity to about 600 men. The prisoners were exclusively male.
The Brandenburg concentration camp was established on the empty prison grounds in May 1933 upon the request of the local police administration. This was due to mass arrests of political opponents by the Nazis, who had just come to power. Along with the concentration camp in Oranienburg, which had existed since March 1933, Brandenburg qualified as a state concentration camp beginning in October 1933. The camp’s official director was the director of the police academy, who however ceded on-site command to the SS.
Beginning in early December 1939, a large section of the prison complex in the city center was converted into a euthanasia killing facility in the context of what was called the T4 operation. A gas chamber was installed in the former prison barn. The euthanasia facility in Brandenburg an der Havel was the only one of six T4 killing facilities that was built in an empty prison rather than in a hospital. In order to conceal the facility’s purpose, it was called the “Brandenburg an der Havel State Nursing Home.” Between February and October 1940, killing facility staff murdered over 9,000 patients from northern and central Germany with poison gas.
The Memorial’s permanent exhibition, which opened in August 2012, addresses the murder of more than 9,000 sick and disabled persons from psychiatric hospitals in northern and central Germany, including Berlin.
- 1790-1819 1790-1819 Poorhouse
- 1820-1931 Old Prison
- 1933-1939 Concentration Camp and Prison again
- 1940 T4 Killing Facility
- since 2012 Memorial for the Victims of Euthanasia Killings
Theaterstück „Ernst L.“ in der Bertolt-Brecht-Schule
28. January 2020
Volles Haus bei der Kooperationsveranstaltung mit der Gedenkstätte für die Opfer der Euthanasie-Morde
Schüler*innen verlesen bewegende Gedenkrede
28. January 2020
Über 100 Gäste kamen gestern zur Gedenkveranstaltung am Nicolaiplatz.
Memorial to the Victims of Euthanasia Murders
14770 Brandenburg an der Havel
Telephone: +49 (0)3381 7935-112
+49 (0)3381 7935-113
Fax: +49 (0)3381 7935-114
Thursday / Friday
13:00 - 17:00
Saturday / Sunday / Holidays
10:00 - 17:00
You can reach our employees at the reception desk by telephone during office hours at
+49 (0)3381 7936-318.
During our office hours (Mon through Fri 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.), we will also be happy to open the Memorial outside of its normal opening hours.
Admission is free.
The costs for tours and day-long seminars are here.
Information on our educational services is here.
Tours and day-long seminars are also offered outside of the opening hours and only take place upon registration.
With the financial assistance of